Friday, March 16, 2007

Passion for reading and thinking



I have two favorite times during my day: when we are singing and when we are reading. Both times put a smile on my heart.

Today the little boy in the picture moved up from a DRA 6 to DRA 8. It was a great celebration. The class cheered, we sang, laughed, clapped and were truly excited for him.

It made me think... When does this joy and passion for reading start, and when does it stop?

My students this year are amazing readers, writers and thinkers. There are times when I want to do something "just for fun" and they turn it into a deep, thought-filled activity just by the questions they ask and the comments they make.

Why can't this feeling continue through all their years in school?

Why does it stop?

What can I do to help it grow?

I don't know the answers - but what I do know is at the end of this year I will be saying goodbye to people who I wish were my age, that I could spend more time with, because they have taught me as much as I have taught them.

No comments: