Friday, March 16, 2007

Pushing Yourself Further



This year I was asked to be the FUSE teacher - coteach with an ESE teacher, her teaching assistant and their students.

After the initial reaction of, "Whoa...! What?" I thought about it for a long time and decided I was ready to push myself further.

Futher meant off the cliff. A scary, scary jump.

This jump meant having 20+ children in the room and as many as 6 being VE. It meant having to teach infront of someone else most of the day. It also meant having to have solid plans and community planning so we were all on the same page.

After coteaching now for almost a year, I can't imaging not having it there. It is safe, secure and you always have someone to fall back on. It means having more than one brain working on a problem. It means more people to help celebrate successes!

For the children, it has meant growing in acceptance, learning how to model for each other, loving people different than you and having friends that are wonderful.

9 months after starting coteaching, I have grown to be an advocate for it. For the teachers benefit, the students benefit and the joy of it.

No comments: